Monday, February 14, 2011

Music

I hate what its become. I didnt watch the grammys this year, and i might not ever watch them again. Pop music now is a joke. I dont even remember the last time i listened to the radio. I get all my music from my own discoveries on the internets. I dont need someone telling me a song is good. So my tastes have evolved into this weird amalgam of music genres. I prefer artists that have a sound ive never heard before. I like when I can shuffle my itunes and each song sounds completely different from the last.

I have a few sources that I get tips from, rcrdlbl.com is one. I get emails from them with their newest and popular tracks. Or i'll listen to di.fm channels and look up the tracklistings. All the artists I listen to have a particular style. It's that theyre actually trying to express something through music. Not just for the money. But everyone has said that before.

And I really dont care how 'mainstream' and artist is. Music for me serves a very particular purpose. I listen to music in a very analytical state of mind. I listen to how each and every layer of a song adds to its whole. (which is also probably why im an audiophile and have to have a nice set of headphones or my giant shelf unit with 6 speakers, 2 tweeters, a sub. it really allows me to hear all those little things.) and i analyze all the parts like a computer. if they somehow work together to produce a pleasant tone, the track is deemed successful by me.

The tiniest things matter to me too. Perfect pitch transitions, maybe how perfectly harmonious the melody is. A small syncopation on a note, or maybe a very precise cutting, break, reverbs, small things that noone really notices unless theyre looking for them and really get it. A lot of people say they "love" music. I dont necessarily 'love' music as much as i love dissecting it. breaking it down to its very core.


And my knowledge of music really branches out beyond just technicalities. I appreciate the feel of a song when im looking for it. Which is why Id be a good DJ, or music editor for a movie or some similar production. I can understand music on its basest levels. I read what the song means. How it applies. I could read a crowd and give them more of what they want or watch a movie scene and set the perfect music for it. (Music video director would be good also.)

But kids these days dont understand what good music is, and i think it has to do with lyrics. Kids need lyrics telling them its a party song instead of being able to just feel it. Or maybe they dont know what true partying is and like to imagine themselves as something else thats described in the songs. (I listen to mainly music that is intrumental. Lyrics take away from the production of a song. Id rather have another layer or intrument placed instead of lyrics.)

But hey, to each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment